||Mike Lydon, CNU-A
Mike Lydon is the Principal of The Street Plans Collaborative. Before launching the firm in 2009, Lydon worked for Smart Growth Vermont, the Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition, and Ann Arbor’s GetDowntown Program. From 2006 - 2009 Lydon worked for Duany Plater-Zyberk and Company (DPZ), an international leader in the practice of smart growth planning, design, and research techniques. At DPZ Mike worked extensively on Miami 21, the recipient of the American Planning Association’s 2011 National Planning Excellence Award, and contributed to several other research and project initiatives.
As a planner, writer, and advocate, Mike’s work has appeared in or been featured by NPR, The New York Times, CNN Headline News, The Atlantic Cities, Planetizen, Grist, Utne Reader, Salon, Next City, and Streetsblog, among many other publications.
Mike collaborated with Andres Duany and Jeff Speck in writing The Smart Growth Manual, published by McGraw-Hill in 2009, and honored by Planetizen as one of the top ten planning books of 2010. Mike is also the creator and primary author of The Open Streets Project and Tactical Urbanism: Short-Term Action, Long-Term Change Vol.1 and Vol.2. These two research efforts are part of larger project called Pattern Cities. Mike remains a regular contributor to Planetizen and is a founding co-editor of A Living Urbanism, a journal chronicling the ever-changing built environment. He was also selected in 2009 as one of 34 Urban Vanguards by Next American City magazine.
A founding member of the New England Chapter of the Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU), a Board Member for CNU New York, and a steering committee member of the Next Generation of New Urbanists, he remains active in both local and national planning, design, and smart growth advocacy issues. He also speaks regularly at trainings and conferences on the topics of smart growth, tactical urbanism, planning and social media, and complete streets/active transportation.
Mike currently serves on an Executive Committee for The Harbor Ring, is an advisor to the Bicycle Coalition of Maine, and sits on the Board of the Center for a New American Dream.
Mike received a B.A. in American Cultural Studies from Bates College and a Masters in Urban Planning from the University of Michigan. Mike is a CNU-Accredited Professional and he encourages you to trade four wheels for two.
- Keynote Address, Doors Open Hamilton, Hamilton Burlington Society of Architects, May 2nd, Hamilton, ON
- "Transforming Pavement into Parks" APA 2013 Conference, April 16th, Chicago, IL
- "Tactical Urbanism + Activism + Media + Planning," Streestblog Network Training Workshop @ CNU 21, 11:30 - 12:45am, Salt Lake City, UT
- "Tactical Urbanism 202," CNU 21, 2pm - 5pm, May 29, 2013, Salt Lake City, UT. Learn more here.
- "Tactical (New) Urbanism," CNU 21, 3:45pm, May 31st, Salt Lake City, UT
- "How Much Control? Subsidiarity and Radical Trust," CNU 21, June 1, 2013, Salt Lake City, UT
- "Citizen Interventions and Changing the Urban Landscape," CNU 21, June 1, 2013, Salt Lake City, UT
- Lousiville Sustainable City Series Lecture. June 21, 2013, Louisville, KY More etails coming soon...
- Tactical Urbanism Salon: Louisville, June 22nd, 2013, Louisville, KY More details coming soon...
- "Ephemera as a Form of Urban Design," Harvard Graduate School of Urban Design Executive Education, July 8th-9th, Cambridge, MA
- ”Damariscotta 2020,” Damariscotta, ME, December 2006.
- “Miami and the 21st Century,” Michigan APA student Chapter Conference, Detroit, MI, February, 2007.
- “Three Generations of Sustainability in the Work of Duany Plater-Zyberk and Company,” International Making Cities Livable Conference, Santa Fe, NM, June, 2008.
- “L.O.S. or B.S?” Annual Congress for the New Urbanism New England Chapter Conference, Portsmouth, NH, April, 2009.
- “Bicycling in Miami,” 1st Miami Bicycle Summit, Miami, FL, June, 2009.
- “Teen ‘Green’ Summit” Miami, FL, July, 2009.
- “On Two Wheels: A Miami Bicycle Master Plan Presentation,” APA Gold Coast Chapter Luncheon, August 2009.
- “Creating A Bicycle-Friendly Providence,” Providence, RI, September, 2009.
- “Smart Growth Camden” Camden, ME, December 2009
- "Introducing the Bicycle Module," SmartCode Retreat New Town St. Charles, MO February 2010
- "Smart Location and Linkage" Vision Long Island LEED- ND Conference, Sustainability Institute at Molloy College, Farmingdale, NY March 23, 2010
- "Innovation and the Built Environment," and "Taming the Car Culture," Creative Cities Summit - Lexington, KY, April 7-9, 2010
- "Retrofitting Suburbia" Westchester Land Trust / CNU New York Chapter Retofitting Suburbia Conference, May 5, 2010
- CNU 18: Rx for Healthy Places - Atlanta, GA, May 19-22, 2010
- "Smart Growth101-999, with Andres Duany and Jeff Speck
- Why isn’t Atlanta the Next Big Bicycling City?
- The New Urbanism on Two Wheels
- "Avenues of Prosperity: The Economic Benefit of Open Streets Initiatives" New England Bike-Walk Summit, Providence, RI, October 10, 2010
- Streets As Places in conjunction with Project for Public Spaces, November 4-5, 148 Lafayette Street, New York City
- Vision Long Island Smart Growth Summit: Youth Summit and Charrette
November 19th, 2010
- ACT Sustainable Mobility Summit 2010, November 24th, Ottawa, Canada
- "Driving Us Nuts: Parking, Parking Reform, and the Search for a Walkable City"
December 1st, 2010, Green South Miami
- "Planning for Non-Motorized Transportation," Moderator, Reinventing Our Places Workshop, March 11, 2011, Mt. St. Mary College, Newburgh, NY
- CNU19: Growing Local, Madison, WI June 1-4, 2011
- "Smart Growth 101-999" w/Andres Duany and Jeff Speck
- "The New Urbanism and the Bicycle: A Dialogue"
- "Sprawl Retrofit at the Micro Scale: Repairing in All Dimensions"
- "CNU New York Salon: Tactical Urbanism in New York City and Beyond"
- "DIY vs. Tactical Urbanism," w/ Aurash Khawarzad, 72 Hour Urban Action Workshop, an Urban Design Week event at P.S. 1, Queens, NY, September 17, 2011
- A Discussion with Streetfilms and Transportation Alternatives, Guggenheim Lab, New York City, October 9th, 2011. Details.
- "Social Media and Community Participation," Suffolk County Planning Conference, Brookhaven, NY, October 12, 2011. Details.
- "Tactical Urbanism: A Brief History," Tactical Urbanism Salon, a Congress of Collectives event, Flux Factory, October 15, 2011
- "Street Network Planning and LEED-ND," Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals Professional Development Seminar, Charlotte, NC, October 26th, 2011
- Americas Ciclovias Network International Congress, Medellin, Colombia, November 3, 4, 5, 6th, 2011. Details.
- Red Nacional de Ciclismo Urbano's 4th National Congress of Urban Cycling, Monterrey, Mexico, November 11, 12, 13th, 2011. Details.
- "The Role of Research in Developing a Professional Urban Planning and Design Practice," Currents in the Design and Construction of the Public Realm, University of Nebraska School of Architecture, January 19, 2012.
- "Ethics and Urban Planning," Long Island Ethical Humanist Society, Mineola, NY, January 22, 2012
- "DIY Community," A Community Matters Discussion by the Orton Family Foundation, February 9th
- "Land Use Planning: Routine Inclusion of Bicycling and Walking in New Developments," Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals Webinar, February 15th, 2012
- "Tactical Urbanism: Testing Livability Improvements Before Investing in Infrastructure," Greenprints Conference, March 7 - 8, Georgia Tech Research Institute, Atlanta, GA
- Tactical Urbanism Salon and Workshop, Chicago, IL, March 15, 2012 More details soon...
- Saving Cycling: The Role of Bicycle-Friendly Business Districts," League of American Bicyclists National Bike Summit, Grand Hyatt, Washington D.C., March 20-22, 2012
-"Tactical Urbanism" Park Pride: 11th Annual Parks and Open Space Conference," Atlanta Botanical Garden, GA, March 26, 2012
- "48x48x48: How to Turn Your Downtown Around in 2 Days for Less Than $2,000," 2012 National Main Streets Conference, April 1 - 4, 2012 Baltimore, MD
- "Tactical Urbanism: Short-term Action, Long-term Change," Boston City Hall, 12:00pm - 1:00pm, April 9, 2012
- "WikiCity: How Web-Enabled, Citizen-Driven Initiatives are Redesigning the Urban Interface" Harvard University, Piper Auditorium, 6:30 - 8:30 pm, April 9, 2012
- "Tactical Urbanism" American Planning Association's National Planning Conference, April 14 - 17, Los Angeles, CA.
- CNU 20: The New World, West Palm Beach, May 9-12, 2012
- "Smart Growth A - Z" May 9, 2012, 2-5pm
- "Tactical Urbanism, Economics, and Community", May 12, 2012, 10:45am - 12:00pm
- Placemaking Workshop, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, May 17th, 2012.
- "Designing Downtown NOW: Real Tactics, and Tools to Enhance Your Businesses and Districts," New Jersey Downtown Revitalization & Management Institute," July 25th, Atlantic City, NJ More info here.
- Keynote presentation, Living Walls Conference, August 17-18, 2012, Atlanta, GA. Details coming soon...
- Flux Death Match: Is Small Big Enough? (Planning & Intervening in Public Space), August 22nd, 8pm, Flux Factory, 39-31 29th Street, Long Island City, Queens, NY
- Bikeway Networks Working Meeting, CNU Transportation Summit, September 9-10, 2012, Long Beach, CA.
- "The Open Streets Project" Pro Walk/Pro Bike, September 10 - 13, 2012, Long Beach, CA.
- "Tactical Urbanism," National Building Museum's Smart Growth Speaker Series, October 11, 2012, Washington, DC
- "Tactical Urbanism," Virginia Tech, October 17, 2012, Blacksburg, VA.
- CityWorks X(po), October 18 - 20, 2012, Roanoke, VA.
- Moving the Millenials, Transportation for America Round-table Discussion, October 22, 2012, Washington, DC
- NACTO Designing Cities Conference, "Creativity in the Curb Lane," NYU - Kimmel Center, October 24, 2012, New York City
- NACTO Designing Cities Conference, "Open Streets," NYU - Kimmel Center, October 25, 2012, New York City
- Community Matters: "Open Streets" - 4pm, November 8th, 2012
- - "Sharing Urban Mobility Space," Smart City Expo, November 15, 2012, Barcelona, Spain, Details found here.
- "Tactical Urbanism: Short-term Action, Long-Term Change," ZZZ Inc., Novemeber 15, Barcelona, Spain
- "Urbanismo Tactico," Universidad Catolica de Chile, December 6, Santiago, Chile. Info here.
- "Salon de Urbanismo Tactico," XVIII Bienal Arquitectura, December 8-9, Santiago, Chile
- "Tactical Urbanism Testing Ground" PlaceMaking @Work Webinar, December 20, 2012. Register here.
- "Tactical Urbanism: Short-term Action, Long-term Change," Charleston, SC, January 10, 2013.
- "Cities and Citizens: How Tactical Urbanism is Changing The American City," University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL January 23, 2013.
- City Lab Lecture, University of New Mexico School of Architecture and Urban Planning, Albuquerque, NM, February 4th, 2013
- Incentivizing Sustainable Cities, Harvard Social Enterprise Conference, February 9 - 10, 2013, Cambridge, MA.
- Main Street Symposium, March 9th, 2013 Niagara Falls, NY. Details here.
- "Tactical Urbanism Workshop," SCAD Atlanta Campus, March 13th, Atlanta, GA.
- "Tactical Urbanism Workshop," Greenprints 2013, March 14th, Atlanta, GA.
- "Bikes and the Brooklyn Waterfront: Past. Present. Future." March 22nd, CityTech (CUNY), 8:30am - 12:30 am, Brooklyn, NY
- "Tactical Urbanism Lecture and Studio Review, Maryland Institute College of Art, March 29th, Baltimore, MD
- Keynote Address, Long Island Complete Streets Summit, Molloy College Sustainability Institute, April 11th, East Farmingdale, NY